I'm remembering my Dad today. Remembering the hugs and the "I love yous."
Missing him always but especially on this day, his 20th yahrzeit.
This was one of his favorite desserts.
william vail's favorite Apple Brown Betty
- 4-5 pie apples such as Granny Smiths, Rhode Island Greenings or Golden Delicious
- 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups diced homestyle white bread
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Peel the apples and remove the cores. Cut the apples into bite sized pieces. Pour the lemon juice over the apples and place them in a baking dish. Combine the bread dice, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Toss the ingredients to distribute the ingredients evenly. Place the bread mixture on top of the apples. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crusty. Let cool slightly, but best when served warm.
Makes 4 servings